Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Gift-for-Gab Chili Cook off

I would love to say I won the chili cook-off last year, but I didn't. However, I did win the "Gift-for-Gab" ribbon for having the most clothes pins by the end of the night. That was a fun game. The way to have the most clothes pins is to take a pin away from the other players if they uttered a forbidden word. I started off slow because "NO" was the forbidden word. I guess I use the word "NO" too much. Then the words changed and I championed the event. The winning words were Can then it was I and last the word was Happy. I must not use these last words often in my conversations.

I CAN say I am HAPPY that NO was not the word for the night!


Here is my award winning chili
Rattledash Chili
1/4 c. olive oil
2 medium green peppers
1 medium jalapeno pepper, roasted
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 lb. pork shoulder, diced
2 lb. Tri-tip, diced
1/2 qt. tomato juice
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (15 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. sea salt
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. cumin, ground
1 tsp. cayenne pepper, ground
1/2 tbsp. crushed red pepper flake
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tbsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cloves


Chop into small pieces all vegetables and meat
Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven
Sauté vegetables and meat in oil
When meat has browned add seasonings, stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce.
Add tomato juice as needed while chili simmers for approximately 4 hours.
Add cheese and diced onions to the top for something extra.



1 comment: